Johnson C. Smith University
About JCSU | Metropolitan College
Johnson C. Smith University (JCSU) prides itself on being the premier independent urban university in Charlotte, North Carolina. Founded in 1867 as Henry J. Biddle Memorial Institute, the university now enrolls approximately 1,500 students and confers bachelor's degrees to hundreds of students each year in 27 different majors.
Metropolitan College is a college at JCSU that offers undergraduate adult degree programs for adult students to enhance opportunities for career advancement and success. Metropolitan College provides working students with flexible and convenient learning schedules, and a variety of course styles including on-campus and online courses, as well as our Flex-Option(sm) that includes both online and in-class instruction.
The adult degree program at Metropolitan College reflects the high standards of academic excellence that Johnson C. Smith University has provided since its inception in 1867.
Why JCSU/ Metropolitan College Online
Metropolitan College offers the same high quality instruction in our online courses that is our tradition with campus-based courses. All general education academic requirements for our undergraduate degrees are offered in both online and campus-based formats. Some academic programs offer upper-level courses online to provide a convenient option as students progress through the undergraduate degree program.
Some courses may be available in two formats including full online delivery and our Flex-Option (sm) for courses that include both online and in-class instruction.
Earning a college degree at JCSU/Metropolitan College is a privilege and a way to reach personal and professional goals. Online students enjoy numerous benefits, including:
- Seven Week Terms | Five Terms per Year
- Our online and campus based courses are offered in 7-week terms. This format allows students to progress through the curriculum at a faster pace than traditional semester formats. With five starts per year, you can enter the program at anytime.
- Online, evening, weekend, and daytime options are available.
- High-quality instruction: JCSU/ Metropolitan College hold each online course at the same high standard of quality and learning outcomes as their traditional, face-to-face courses.
- Academic excellence translates into our endeavor to produce graduates who are able to communicate effectively, think critically, learn independently and collaboratively, and demonstrate competence in their chosen fields.
- Professors who teach online courses at Metropolitan College are trained in instructional techniques to facilitate student learning and success in an online learning environment.
- Faculty provide additional help and guidance during class and office hours.
- Prestige and reputation: Johnson C. Smith University / Metropolitan College have a rich legacy of integrity, stability and value.
- As a truly distinctive institution, JCSU places its main focus on creating excellence in its students, faculty, administration, academic programs and the service to its community.
- Financial Aid: JCSU/Metropolitan College offers competitive financial aid packages for students who meet general eligibility requirements. Our financial aid advisors can help with questions about the application process.
- Financial aid is available for online courses for students who are enrolled in Metropolitan College full-time for 12 or more credit hours.
All courses offered by Metropolitan College are accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS). Johnson C. Smith University received its most recent accreditation from SACS in 2007.
100 Beatties Ford Rd.
Charlotte NC 28216
Average Cost per Credit
$295 + $100 Tech Fee
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS)
Online and Campus
Private, not for profit